Express your gratitude if you want more success. In our busy world it is easy to get too self focused and forget to make saying “thank you” part of your daily routine. When I spend time being clear of who has helped me along the way, the more opportunities follow. Showing gratitude always comes back to you.
I have been speaking at association and company events for the past decade. The message of giving thanks is one that gets people excited. It is easy and has real benefits, but so often overlooked in business. People want to show gratitude, but often do not get around to it.
Merriam Webster Dictionary defines gratitude as:
Definition of gratitude:
the state of being grateful : THANKFULNESS
Thankfulness is a choice. When people remember that they begin to show gratitude more often. A few years ago I was studying “Happiness” and what made people live in a state of “Happy” at work and beyond. It was gratitude that all the truly happy people had in common.
So if showing gratitude can bring more business and make us feel joy, why is it so hard. Below are 5 tips to making it known you are thankful:
- Be aware of what is good in your life. Keep a gratitude journal and make notes of all the things you are thankful for on a daily basis. Sometimes it is the small things that we would overlook that have the biggest impact when they say “thank you” to another person.
- Talk positively. Be the person who is known for being upbeat and sees the sunnyside. Too many people whine and complain. Those who are regularly showing gratitude rarely focus on the negative.
- Send a handwritten note. Text and email are great communication tools, but a handwritten note stands out. It shows people you were willing to put in the extra effort to say “thanks”.
- Practice random acts of kindness. If you have been the benefactor of others who have done things to assist you along the way, then be a person who helps.
- See People. We live in a world where many people feel invisible. There is an epidemic of loneliness. Take the time to look others in the eyes and see them as people. Put your phone down and acknowledge those around you.
Make showing gratitude a key part of your business routine. Look for ways to express appreciation to those who help you on a daily basis. None of us accomplish anything on our own.
A Partial List Of My Gratitude
Thankful for my friends and family
Appreciative of the speakers bureaus who represent me to their clients
Grateful that I get to speak for amazing organizations
Honored to have made friendships with some of the best professional speakers in the world
Happy for the people who are teaching me about humor and comedy
Say “Thank You” To Someone Each Day
Make sure that you are being proactive in showing gratitude. Ask yourself each day if you have said “thank you” to someone before you end your workday. I find that it is easy to let things slide if you are not making it a priority. Where you put your attention is where you take actions.