To achieve the highest level of return on investment for attending a conference, you need to network. But this is not simply about collecting business cards and shaking hands. Strategic networking is the key to success at live events.
Networking and professional development have always gone hand in hand. Corporate and association meetings have been combining education and social gatherings for as long as there have been conferences. We bring a lot of people together and find common ground. Relationships are built, and business gets done.
Building relationships does not happen by accident. It takes a strategy. Strategic networking has 10 main steps.
10 Step to Strategic Networking
- Make networking a priority
- Show up at industry events
- Realize relationships take time
- Help others first
- Ask questions
- Let people know what you seek
- Always bring business cards
- Combine online and offline activities
- Introduce people to others
- Own the follow up
Check out the post I wrote in February 2019 – “How to Network at a Conference”